I got 5 on it. And it's all over the damn place.
1. Age is just a number. Truly. I can't tell you how many times I've judged myself for being out too late or having that "I'm never drinking again" hangover. You know the one. Even this past weekend I shamed myself for my poor decision-making. "Remember your goals, Betsy. What do you REALLY want? You're in your mid (okay, fine,) upper-30's. Don't you think you need to get your priorities straight?!"
But why? I mean, my priorities could always use some improvement, but that's b/c I'm human, not because I'm irresponsible. In fact, I could definitely stand to relax more and be less hard on myself, in general. I think most of us do. I workout at least 5 days a week, have a good job, get things done that need to get done, keep a pet alive and happy and even somehow manage not to kill my plants. So what if I want to to get caught up in a crazy fun night and take it well into the morning, or ask a policeman if my friends and I can have a ride home in the back of his police car just b/c I think it'd be funny (It was funny. And we have it on video).
So I don't care if you're 23 or 73. If you want to live in the moment because it feels good and skip that morning workout tomorrow so you can nurse a hangover in bed, or take that trip that doesn't really fit your budget but could potentially be an experience of a lifetime, or adopt a dog because you just KNOW you're meant to be together (even though your apartment building doesn't allow dogs and you have no idea how you'll manage it with all the travel you've been doing lately for work), then for shit's sake! DO IT...and the rest will figure itself out! As long as it doesn't land you in jail and no one is hurt in the process, no need to have remorse or perseverate on the fact that you're not going to get your laundry done AGAIN. Follow your heart. Move toward the joy. Life's too short.
2. The 13th sign. Ophiuchus. I'm not sure what I think about this, but NASA wrote in a blog post earlier this year that there is a 13th sign in the Zodiac, and that the Earth is on a different axis than it was when the original constellations were drawn, so all the signs have different date ranges now. Mine isn't really affected, (I'm a Virgo/Libra cusp and with the new setup, I'd be a Virgo/Leo cusp) so I don't care that much. But for those that are ride or die horoscope junkies, there's been some mega freak-outs. Here are the new astrological dates and signs...did yours change? Get a quick rundown of your new horoscope traits here.
Capricorn: Jan. 20 to Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 to March 11
Pisces: March 11 to April 18
Aries: April 18 to May 13
Taurus: May 13 to June 21
Gemini: June 21 to July 20
Cancer: July 20 to Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10 to Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16 to Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30 to Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23 to Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29 to Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17 to Jan. 20
Interesting article for more reading on this subject: The Great Debate
3. 90% of LIfetime movies are really, really bad, am I right? Terrible acting and eye-rolling drama ensues on the regular that would pretty much never happen in real life. I mean, who actually watches this stuff??
(Thumbs pointing to self) This girl. And I can do it on a level that defies your wildest imagination. We're talking Lifetime movie marathons a-plenty with a few on DVR for those times when you just need something ridiculous to veg out to on a rainy Sunday afternoon. What's your guilty pleasure to watch on TV? I know you have at least one...
4. Babe. This is my new favorite adult bevvie. I'm partial to sparkling wine (prosecco, Champagne, brut, whatever you want to call it) and I've always been a sucker for good marketing. In walks Babe...and I'm in love! Rosé with bubbles in a can. Yes, it's founded by The Fat Jewish and it's surprisingly pretty damn good. Buy it here.
5. Be yourself. This is my mantra. This is everything that I was put on this earth for. Well, maybe not everything, but I definitely think I'm supposed to put it out into the world. The more authentic I am, the more it gives others the permission to do the same. It's like a domino effect, and I think it can only go in a good direction.
Look, we're all weirdos. We're all unique in our own way. So let's celebrate that! Let's learn about and from one another and figure out how to relate. Don't be embarrassed to ask a question you're wondering about, or tell a story that just popped into your head b/c it relates to a current conversation. People are interested! I'm interested. And if someone doesn't accept you with all your quirks and imperfections, just the way you are, then it's really not about you. It's about them. It's true that we don't see the world as it is, we see the world as WE are. This has been ringing so true for me this year. So I'll just keep doin' me. And you should do you. And we'll all be just fine.